You are invited to submit your scholarly, scientific and/or artistic
proposals on sound related topics and issues for:
The Global Composition
Conference on Sound, Media and the Environment
Darmstadt/Media Campus Dieburg (Hochschule Darmstadt), July 25-28, 2012 (near Frankfurt Airport)
Deadline for submission: March 1, 2012
Notification: April 20, 2012
Proposals are invited for papers/posters, workshops, roundtable discussions,
applied and artistic contributions, relating, but not limited to the
conference`s main topics.
Suggested topics are:
* the idea of a collaborative and sustainable macro-soundscape or global
* sound design/soundscape design/soundscape creation
* influencing environmental sound environmental sounds¹ influences
* methods of perceiving/analyzing/creating/reconstructing soundscapes
* the role of technology and media in enhancing/obstructing sound(scape)
awareness and critical listening
* (media) ecological approaches as the basis for listening cultures
* pedagogical aspects of listening
* media aeshetic/media cultural education and listening
* recent research on environmental sound, acoustic ecology and related
Please, send your abstracts for papers/posters, workshops, roundtable
discussions etc. & proposals for compositions or other artistic
contributions until March 1, 2012. All submissions will be anonymously
reviewed by the conference¹s committees.
For the conference proceedings the finalized papers should be submitted by
June 26, 2012.
Confirmed Keynote presenters are so far: Bill Fontana, R. Murray Schafer,
Hildegard Westerkamp et al.
Providing a specially positioned "Next Generation"-thread, the conference is
very interested, to create a forum for young scholars, scientists, artists
as well as for students, and encourages them to send in their proposals.
Please note, that our venue is situated not far from Frankfurt airport in
beautiful historic surroundings, providing not only the productive frame for
an interesting conference, but also attractive landscapes, very good wine,
culinary highlights, therefore good conditions for exchange and
conviviality. All this makes, too, a central starting point for your
summerbreak, be it locally, nationally or internationally.
Contact for general information: firstname.lastname@example.org
The conference is supported by the "Understanding
Canada"-programme/Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International
Trade and the Embassy of Canada Berlin, in collaboration with Darmstädter
Ferienkurse/Darmstadt Summercourse, Cork Institute of Technology/School of
Music, Ireland and endorsed by the World Forum for Acoustic Ecology.